[SiliconBeach] Kids Coding Resources / Info
Michael Zimmerman
2015-05-28 11:48:56 UTC
I have been getting revved up about the whole (Lack Of) coding in schools
thing in Aus. Two of my kids go to great schools (Sydney Girls and Sydney
Grammar) and I am shocked that there are no coding classes being taught
(Sydney Girls does not even have a computer club). Add to it stuff like
this by Tony Abbott

http://www.smh.com.au/national/-ghbdal.html

and it really fuels the flames...
Fortunately i have discovered a number of local initiatives for kids
coding, robotics, etc in Sydney and have started to put together a resource
list. It is currently VERY raw as i just hacked it together, but I'd
really appreciate any input if you know of either:

1) workshops or courses taught avaialble to teach primary or high school
kids, or

2) websites that offer free (or very cheap) coding tutorials/ coures

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12VpUsQLlUEPwpmOxqXB1lHarruZeuZA8JRYeK0g5CQc/edit?usp=sharing

thanks for your input!
--
Michael Zimmerman
mikezim25
silicon-beach-australia+***@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silicon Beach Australia" group.
Jason Galea
2015-05-28 12:04:13 UTC
Hi Michael,

don't forget the apps! My 5yo got into CargoBot (
http://twolivesleft.com/CargoBot/) for a bit, though the lure of Minecraft
is just too strong most of the time.

CargoBot was entirely written on an iPad using Codea (
http://twolivesleft.com/Codea) which I've been meaning to have a closer
look at.

We had a bit of fun with Tynker too (https://www.tynker.com/) which starts
of as a very simple game and leads to a lot more (we haven't gotten too
far). Looking at the website it looks like it could get expensive, but you
can start with the app for minimal dollars and if the kids get into that
and want more I'd say it'd be well worth it. I told my boy if he got
through all of the puzzles in the free version then I'd buy the paid
version for him and sure enough he was through them in a day or two.

cheers,

Jason

Jason Galea
lecstor.com
ezyapp.com

Patrick Collins
2015-05-28 16:07:25 UTC
Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. To confirm your point and contrast for
you. My kids go to a public school in Piedmont California:

- They are each allocated a Chromebook at the beginning of the year. They
can't take it home, but it is logged in permanently to their google account
which was opened exclusively for class use.

- The school has highspeed broadband and full coverage wifi.

- The kids are now getting their class assignments emailed to their
personal school gmail account (!).

- They "routinely" take notes, do maths and write assignments in google
docs.

- Getting a certain word-per-minute in "type-to-learn" is part of their
curriculum. It is tested.

- My grade 4 girl has just completed a documentary using an online video
editor and voice recorder.

- The 4th grader has also just completed the first 2 lessons of code.org
and has built rudimentary turtle programs in Scratch (scratch.mit.edu).

- My 4rd grader immersed himself into scratch after the school taught him
the basics. He has written creative and complex games in it.

- By 5th grade they are required to complete a science fair project which
must be presented to the class in Google Slides or Powerpoint.

Admittedly, my kids are in a great public school and there are some really
terrible ones as well. But I'm very impressed with how aggressively they
push our kids into using all aspects of the computer, web and programming.

Patrick.

Nigel Sheridan-Smith
2015-05-28 20:26:09 UTC
Hi Michael,

There is an initiative that recently started in Melbourne too:
http://www.codefuture.org/

I'm sure they are looking for any programmers or developers who are willing
to help teach classes. I've signed up already, but lacking a bit of free
time right at the minute... hopefully I can get involved soon.

Cheers,
Nigel

*Dr Nigel Sheridan-Smith PhD* / Principal
*Green Shores Digital*

[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/GreenShoresAU>[image: Linkedin]
<http://au.linkedin.com/in/nsheridansmith>

*M*: +61 403 930 963
*E*: ***@greenshoresdigital.com
*W*: http://www.greenshoresdigital.com

Alex North

Rai
2015-05-28 23:43:42 UTC
Randwick council run a Code Club but it ends in June so I'm not sure it
belongs on the list?
http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/library/library-events/library-calendar/events/home/code-club?SQ_CALENDAR_DATE=2015-04-30

Rai

Leigh
2015-05-29 11:04:01 UTC
www.jnrengineers.com is in over 35 schools in QLD and VIC since beginning of 2014.

Starts kids coding from aged 7 on MS Basic, Python, iOS and with a robotics course extension; highly profitable; multiple attempts to find someone to offer it in NSW schools.

Other states are getting it!

Anyone who wants to tackle NSW, happy to introduce to jnrengineers GM.

'Mike Zimmerman' via Silicon Beach Australia

Robert Love
2015-05-29 11:07:46 UTC
Hi Michael

I started Let's Get Coding last year to teach coding to kids in years 3 to
6 at my kids school.

http://letsgetcoding.com.au/

I'm also ex PwC and was around during the time of the report you've
mentioned.

I also have a couple of very close friends who work at Sydney Grammar and
they've been lobbying for STEM initiatives for some time but are blocked at
every turn by a Principal who is, by all accounts, a technophobe. All you
need to do is look at the evolution of the Grammar website over the past
few years to see their a technological basket case :)
Post by Michael Zimmerman
[...]
gmail.com <javascript:>

2015-05-30 05:36:04 UTC
thanks very much for this. would you be willing to intro me to your
friends at Grammar? the headmaster dr valance -- who is great in a number
of ways -- recently said he thought a coding course would be "banal" (only
time i've heard that word outside of downton abbey!).

my email is mikezim25 at gmail dot com

Tom Allen
2015-05-31 23:49:36 UTC
I'd just like to briefly chime in with my 2c here, as I not only went to
Sydney Grammar, but Dr Vallance was also my tutor for 90% of my time there.
His (and the school's) philosophy is that students should not be instructed
in any subjects that are essentially vocational, because their schooling
should give them a broad background that can be narrowed to a vocation at
university (to which 99% of Old Sydneians attend). So english, science,
mathematics, art, music, history, geography, ancient languages, modern
languages, economics, and philosophy are all OK, but industrial design,
legal studies, coding, and the like are not. However, there's a wide range
of after-school activities provided that do cater for these skillsets, and
(at least when I was there) there is a computer club too.

I'm not here to argue whether that's an appropriate philosophy, but it's
hardly a secret that Grammar (and some other similarly high-achieving
schools) only offer "traditional" subjects. It's similar to why the
University of Sydney doesn't offer Medicine to undergraduates - you have to
study something broader first.

So, my advice if you want to get coding into the curriculum is that asking
for it to be mandatory isn't going to fly. Offering it as an additional
activity certainly will, and as we've seen in this thread, there are loads
of avenues through which this already occurs. And if you think the world
has changed sufficiently that coding is necessary for understanding modern
life, then *that* is the argument you'll need to spend the energy upon. If
you succeed on those lines then schools will gladly include it in the
curriculum, because they *do* want the best outcomes for kids - they just
don't want to constrain their choices ahead of time.

Cheers,
Tom

Silvia Pfeiffer
2015-06-01 00:01:33 UTC
I would argue that coding is about as important to a modern student's
life as is mathematics - and certainly more important than philosophy
or ancient languages.

Anyway ... fortunately that discussion is already happening in the public eye.

Cheers,
Silvia.

Matt Moore
2015-06-01 00:26:36 UTC
Speaking here as the parent of a child and someone with a passing
interesting in technology, I would note the following:

- Education curricula seem to something of an ideological battleground
and good luck with whoever gets stuck into that but the place for
traction right now is the kind of coding clubs & camps that several
people are already doing.

- If we're going to teach coding then we have to teach it well. To
what extent are coders working with educators on designing how coding
is taught?(because not all coders are going to be great teachers)

- Leading on from that, it's not just about the kids. Most teachers
have no coding experience - what's out there for them? How about
parents - what would a family coding day look like?

Some of this might well be in Mike's set of resources that I will work
my way thru when I get a moment (cheers Mike!)

simran
2015-06-01 00:05:04 UTC
FWIW,

Coding is actually quite a "creative" process as well... and for all the
STEM stuff we wish to push, i wonder if an element of coding should
actually come under art and the creative process - much like painting, the
colours/canvas being the raw material - similarly coding being the raw
material - and just like painting a brick wall is very limited creativity,
similarly, coding yet another CRM is limited creativity... but painting
something new is creative... coding something fun/unique is creative...

However, we should not be "shoving anything down anyone throats" (like many
seem to be doing with their agenda on pushing STEM as it comes at the cost
of Art) - perhaps coding can be an embracive thing and art teachers showing
how they use coding will get more cut-through in inspiration...

Patrick Collins
2015-06-01 00:17:11 UTC
The Prime Minister of Australia has come out and ridiculed an opposition
policy aimed at teaching kids to code. In response to the leader of the
Labor Party's question about whether he would commit to supporting Labor's
push to have coding taught in every primary school in Australia, the Prime
Minister said: "He said that he wants primary school kids to be taught
coding so they can get the jobs of the future. Does he want to send them
all out to work at the age of 11? Is that what he wants to do? Seriously?"

http://m.smh.com.au/national/education/tony-abbott-ridicules-his-own-party-in-school-coding-gaffe-20150528-ghbdal.html

Coding!? We should be teaching them to drive earth movers.

simran
2015-06-01 00:28:33 UTC
Isn't MineCraft actually a recruitment strategy funded by the Australian
Government to train and search for kids that know how to mine while at
primary school (or even before), so that we can send them into the mines ;)
lets call it the "child-liberal" policy :) hahaha :)

Clifford Heath
2015-06-01 00:29:16 UTC
His (and the school's) philosophy is that students should not be instructed in any subjects that are essentially vocational, because their schooling should give them a broad background that can be narrowed to a vocation at university (to which 99% of Old Sydneians attend). So english, science, mathematics, art, music, history, geography, ancient languages, modern languages, economics, and philosophy are all OK, but industrial design, legal studies, coding, and the like are not.
It used to be that a “liberal education” included logic - which was notably missing from your
list above. In fact I don’t know of any Australian high-school curriculum that offers it…

However, the ability to formulate a logical proof is almost exactly what’s required to write
a computer program in a functional programming languages. It’s also widely applicable
to both mathematics and to formulating theories and arguments; central to a liberal
education.

These two could easily be combined without it being a “programming” course, and
would produce better programmers than teaching a conventional programming
course anyway.

“Conceptual analysis” as practised by those trained in Fact Based Modeling involves
analysis of linguistic expressions to determine the formal intent, and hence to delineate
the conceptual extent (possible things that can be said, queried or described). Again,
it’s an academic subject whose application is *absolutely key* to all critical thinking,
and incidentally also to the design of computer applications.

In short, Dr Vallance is quite wrong to disregard the opportunity presented by computer
science to a broad education. The aspects of critical thinking, reasoning and proof are
fundamental to ongoing education, both in liberal arts and in STEM. The use of a computer
is incidental to the cognitive developmental goals that are achievable.

Clifford Heath.
(Disclaimer: My last 9 years of freelance research has made me a world expert in the
fact-based approach - see http://dataconstellation.com for more)

Frank Lucisano
2015-06-01 03:27:05 UTC
We do Board of Studies Curriculum integrated programs at 1/5th the price
and have endorsement by the Australian Primary Principals Association. If
you'd like your school to have our service please point your Principal to
www.scopeITeducation.com.au for a complete solution affordable to every
student and school.

Robert Love
2015-05-29 11:13:14 UTC
And don't forget Scratch: https://scratch.mit.edu/

Good Game Spawn Point (ABC3) did a series on Scratch where they built a
Space Invaders game http://www.abc.net.au/abc3/goodgamesp/tutorials/

BrianMenzies
2015-05-29 22:55:50 UTC
Hi Mike

Thanks for doing this.

Similarly I was a bit dismayed the other day when I discovered that the
school my girls go to doesn't offer any coding at the HSC level.
Fortunately we have a few years to fix that. I've begun conversations with
the school about introducing CodeClub as an after school program.
I'd love to hear from anyone else who has started a CodeClub at their
school.

Here are some resources that my family have been using and can recommend:

+1 for Scratch my 9 and 11 year old daughters are both using it.
We tried Alice an earlier version from MIT, but found Scratch easier to
operate.

In Sydney the Power House Museum
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/thinkspace/courses-workshops/ run coding
and robot workshops for kids.
One I recommend is the Scratch Family day where the whole family can spend
a couple hours building games together, we did that recently.
I also like that they run some 'girls only' sessions.
They also hold camps during the school holidays and my 9 year old had a
coding birthday party there last month!

Ascham school has runs coding and robot camps during the holidays. Run by
the people from http://www.codecamp.com.au/ I think.
My girls have been to a couple of these camps and loved it (open to
everyone, our girls don't' got to Ascham).

+1 for Girls Programming network. My kids have done one of these and are
going back tomorrow. Great stuff and fantastic role modelling.

A couple of things that didn't work so well (but were still totally
worthwhile in terms of building the coding is fun mindset):
1) Stencyl is also a free drag and drop programming environment for kids to
build games etc.
My daughters were introduced to it at a coding camp, but have reverted to
Scratch as I think Stencyl is a bit more advanced.

2) My eldest did a Unity3D gaming engine workshop through school. Enjoyed
the day, but was unable to carry it forward (well didn't really try).
I put it down to it being a too sophisticated (complex) environment to work
in for a kid starting out

3) My youngest did a Python for MineCraft workshop at the PowerHouse.
Again really enjoyed the day, but hard to follow through.

Brian

Geoff Bowers
2015-05-31 09:15:33 UTC
Post by Michael Zimmerman
I have been getting revved up about the whole (Lack Of) coding in schools
thing in Aus. Two of my kids go to great schools (Sydney Girls and Sydney
Grammar) and I am shocked that there are no coding classes being taught
(Sydney Girls does not even have a computer club). Add to it stuff like
this by Tony Abbott
http://www.smh.com.au/national/-ghbdal.html
and it really fuels the flames...
Not sure I understand what you are driving at here politically in linking
to that article. Both sides of politics want the best for kids. Even the
video SMH provides indicates that the current government is investing in
coding at all levels in education. Obviously the diatribe in the associated
text suggests the complete opposite.

The introduction of coding needs to be made at the national curriculum
level in order for it to be mandatory in schools -- this process is
painstakingly slow. As a consequence, you are at the mercy of the
individual principal and staff of your kid's school as to where they sit
with respect to coding initiatives. Some have great programs... most not so
great.

I'm a coder by profession, and have primary aged children. I would love to
get them coding more. But it's a challenge. Young kids get frustrated
easily, and distracted quickly. The last thing I'd want is my kids getting
poisoned by a few bad coding classes which taints their view of the subject
for life. What might be better at primary level is a more holistic
approach that teaches concepts of variable assignment, conditional logic
and iterations/loops without coding -- this can be done with simple
electronics, building basic robots, and the introduction of these concepts
in basic maths.

If you are serious about getting young kids into coding start with iPad
apps that introduce concepts of programatic control. There's plenty of apps
based on things like Turtle and Scratch concepts that don't require typing
but these are often pretty "boring" compared to the games they'll be use
to.

I've been trying to keep things as tangible as possible, and the best
product I've found is BitsBox (https://bitsbox.com). They send you a box
every month with a magazine with coding snippets (very eighties!),
stickers, and an odd toy. The coding is web based, using Javascript in a
special "walled garden" that gives you all kinds of really cool touch-based
game features. As you program, the game runs (or doesn't!) in the browser.
Every game has its own scannable barcode which magically brings your app
up in your tablet or mobile.

window.document.getElementById('app-canvas').style.background =
'rgba(255,0,0,1)';
vs.
fill('red')

For young kids it does require that you do most of the typing. If you can
master the environment yourself, you can make it interesting for your kids
by letting them choose how the game works. For example, a sample game with
a frog can be easily converted into a unicorn and so on -- they choose the
colours, the different graphics, the sounds, where on the page things are
positioned, how things move. Then you have to subtly pass on how these
elements are controlled in the program without sounding like its "boring"!

Bitsbox also looks like something that kids can grow into, gradually
replacing your typing with their own. I find it fun and I'm past 40.

Hope that helps,

GB

Aaron Christiansen
2015-06-04 10:25:28 UTC
I visit Kickstarter on a regular basis and thought the following may be of
interest:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codespiration/codespiration-stories-and-activities-to-get-kids-c?ref=discovery
Post by Geoff Bowers
I'm a coder by profession, and have primary aged children. I would love to
get them coding more. But it's a challenge. Young kids get frustrated
easily, and distracted quickly. The last thing I'd want is my kids getting
poisoned by a few bad coding classes which
window.document.getElementById('app-canvas').style.background =
'rgba(255,0,0,1)';
vs.
fill('red')
or fill(red) - as a kid locating the inverted comma stumped me constantly
:-/

Frank Lucisano
2015-06-01 03:19:45 UTC
Disclaimer : I am the founder of this solution.

www.scopeITeducation.com.au solves this precise problem. Curriculum
integrated, professionally developed courses and lessons in Introductory
Coding, Website Development, App Design and Programming, Electronics,
Arduino, Robotics, Digital Citizenship, Google Skills - we offer it all. I
would love any and all of your support by notifying your schools Principal
of our service. Our aim is to offer every child in Australia, regardless of
location or socio-economic class the ability to experience the creative,
innovative and productive side of technology.

Helping us to spread this vital TOOL and SKILL to all students would be
greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Frank

Sallyann Williams
2015-06-02 00:26:49 UTC
At the bottom of this I've posted some more resources for you.... (Some of
which you've already captured).

I work for Google's engineering team and work on CS education & STEM
outreach.

The good news is that for most Australian States there will be a new
Digital Technologies Curriculum commencing from next year that will
introduce students in years K-8 to computational thinking & coding. There
is a lot of work being done by many partners to address teacher
professional development, free resources and also to explain the case for
CS + X. Where X is your passion, a cross-discipline, a problem you are
trying to solve etc. The last link - Careers with Code
<http://careerswithcode.com.au/> has recently been redeveloped as a website
and will be updated in October in both print & online for schools across
Australia to introduce students, parents & teachers to the breadth of CS +
X careers available. If you know and Aussie with an CS + X career we
should consider profiling let me know.

Sally

THE CASE FOR CS & STEM LINKS

Google’s resources

-

Australia’s Innovation Generation
<http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com.au/en/au/campaigns/startwithcode/assets/Start_with_Code_Booklet_Online.pdf>
-

Made with Code - why coding is a big deal
<https://www.madewithcode.com/bigdeal>
-

CS Engage - to grow diversity in the workforce
<https://www.engage-csedu.org/>
-

Exploring Computational Thinking
<https://www.google.com/edu/resources/programs/exploring-computational-thinking/>

Other resources

-

Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Australia’s Future,
Office of the Chief Scientist (2014)
<http://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/STEM_AustraliasFuture_Sept2014_Web.pdf>
-

From 1964 to 2005 in Australia, 65 per cent of economic growth per
capita resulted from improvements in the use of capital, labour and
technological innovation—made possible in large part by STEM
-

Benchmarking Australia, Office of the Chief Scientist (2014)
<http://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/BenchmarkingAustralianSTEM_Web_Nov2014.pdf>
-

Demand for ICT skilled migrants dwarfs all other scientific skill
bases except engineering, and grew 600% between 2009 and 2013
-

Whitehouse: New Commitments to Support Computer Science Education
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/12/08/fact-sheet-new-commitments-support-computer-science-education>
-

The President has spearheaded an initiative for 1 million new CS
graduates
-

Making CS Fundamental <http://code.org/files/Making_CS_Fundamental.pdf>
-

International research shows that 75% of the fastest growing
occupations require STEM skills
-

In the US CS graduate jobs are growing at 2 x the average
-

There will be over 1 million new jobs in CS by 2020 (That’s just in
the US)
-

Tsunami or SeaChange? Responding to the Explosion of Student Interest in
Computer Science
<http://www.ncwit.org/sites/default/files/edlazowska_ws_lowres_0.pdf>
(US)
-

CS enrolments at both Ivy Leagues (MIT, Stanford, Harvard) and
regional universities have more than doubled in the last 4 years.
-

On the Origins of Gender Human Capital Gaps
<http://www.nber.org/papers/w20909.pdf>
-

Teacher Gender Bias affects girls results in math
-

STEM Education in Washington: The Facts of the Matter
<http://lazowska.cs.washington.edu/STEM.pdf>
-

A mismatch between economic opportunity and our educational output.
-

Skills for the digital economy
<http://oecdeducationtoday.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/skills-for-digital-economy.html>
-

Survival in a digital economy now demands higher-level cognitive
skills for understanding, interpreting, analysing and communicating complex
information.
-

The Startup Economy
<http://www.digitalpulse.pwc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PwC-Google-The-startup-economy-2013.pdf>
-

Tech startups in Australia have the potential to be 4%of GDP - $109
billion and employ >540,000 people, by 2033
-

Internet Economy in G20, 2012, BCG
<http://www.bcg.com/documents/file100409.pdf>
-

The $4.2 Trillion Growth Opportunity

Media

-

Shortage of IT graduates a critical threat, AFR, 2014
<http://www.afr.com/news/policy/industrial-relations/shortage-of-it-graduates-a-critical-threat-20140206-iy4lx>
-

There has been a 36% decline in the number of students undertaking
computer science degrees between 2001 and 2013
-

Job survival in the age of robots and intelligent machines
<https://theconversation.com/job-survival-in-the-age-of-robots-and-intelligent-machines-33906>
-

To position yourself favourably for the jobs of the future, become
someone who can look at problems in unorthodox ways, seeing different
angles and finding workable solutions. Be a multi-disciplinary, insatiably
curious person who knows how to use the tools to model ideas and create
prototypes.
-

Computer science enrollments soared last year, rising 30%
<http://www.computerworld.com/article/2496119/it-careers/computer-science-enrollments-soared-last-year--rising-30-.html>
(US)
-

In the US between 2012-2013 the number of CS majors increased by 29%
-

Six ways Australia’s education system is failing our kids
<http://theconversation.com/six-ways-australias-education-system-is-failing-our-kids-32958>
-

It has been estimated that 75% of the fastest growing occupations
require science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) skills and
knowledge. The importance of STEM is acknowledged by industry and business.
Yet there are national declines in Australian participation and attainment
in these subjects. A recent report by the Productivity Commission found
almost one-quarter of Australians are capable of only basic mathematics,
such as counting.

RESOURCE LINKS

Teacher PD opportunities:

-

Digital Technologies MOOC <https://csdigitaltech.appspot.com/course>s
from Adelaide University (free online courses, mapped to the Australian
Digital Technologies Curriculum for teachers from grades K-8.)
-

CS4HS workshops <http://www.cs4hs.com/current-programs/> - nationally by
various universities & non-profits with support from Google
-

Graduate Certificate in Digital Technologies
<http://www.utas.edu.au/courses/edu/courses/e5k-graduate-certificate-in-teaching-digital-technologies>
- University of Tasmania

Classroom materials:

-

CS Unplugged <http://csunplugged.org/> - free & open source
-

CS FIRST <http://www.cs-first.com/> - free & open source
-

Computational thinking resources
<https://www.google.com/edu/resources/programs/exploring-computational-thinking/>
from Google + partners
-

Blockly <https://code.google.com/p/blockly/> - free & opensource drag &
drop programming interface
-

Khan Academy <https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming>
- curriculum and online editors for JS, HTML, and SQL
-

Made with Code <https://www.madewithcode.com/> - free & open source
-

Code.org <https://code.org/>

Coding clubs and organizations that work in schools & in the community:

*This is a list of programs we know have strong impact metrics for results,
not just reach.

-

FIRST Australia <http://firstaustralia.org/> - STEM & robotics programs
from grade 2-12 - nationally run
-

Code Club Australia <http://www.codeclubau.org/> - code clubs &
information/material to set one up
-

Robogals <http://www.robogals.org/> - promoting STEM education to girls
-

NCSS <http://www.ncss.edu.au/summer_school/index.html> - national CS
summer school in Jan each year at the University of Sydney
-

NCSS Challenge
<https://groklearning.com/challenge/?utm_source=challenge-redirect&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=challenge-2014>
- annual programming competition.
-

PC4G <http://www.pc4g.org.nz/> - programming challenge for girls

ICT Teacher Associations:

-

Digital Learning Victoria
<http://diglearning.global2.vic.edu.au/prof-learning/> - workshops & PD
across Digital Technologies and technology in the classroom
-

EdTECH SA <http://edtechsa.sa.edu.au/> - Educational Technology South
Australia
-

ECAWA <http://ecawa.wa.edu.au> - Educational Computing Association of
Western Australia Inc.
-

ICTENSW <http://www.ictensw.org.au/> – ICT Educators of NSW
-

ICTEV <http://ictev.vic.edu.au> – ICT in Education Victoria
-

InTEACT <http://www.inteact.act.edu.au/> – Information Technology
Educators ACT
-

ITEANT <http://www.schools.nt.edu.au/iteant/> – Information Technology
Educators Association of the Northern Territory
-

QSITE <http://www.qsite.edu.au/> – Queensland Society for Information
Technology in Education
-

TASITE <http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au/> – tasite.tas.edu.au Tasmanian
Society for Information Technology in Education Inc.

Career Information:

-

Careers with Code <http://careerswithcode.com.au/> - free online
resource highlighting CS + X careers and university pathways

Mathew Benjamin
2015-06-02 05:59:56 UTC
What our friends are doing up in Asia...

"Introducing circuitry, robots to pre-schoolers - Channel NewsAsia"

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/introducing-circuitry/1886578.html?cid=TWTCNA#.VW0751657X8.linkedin
At the bottom of this I've posted some more resources for you.... (Some of which you've already captured).
I work for Google's engineering team and work on CS education & STEM outreach.
The good news is that for most Australian States there will be a new Digital Technologies Curriculum commencing from next year that will introduce students in years K-8 to computational thinking & coding. There is a lot of work being done by many partners to address teacher professional development, free resources and also to explain the case for CS + X. Where X is your passion, a cross-discipline, a problem you are trying to solve etc. The last link - Careers with Code has recently been redeveloped as a website and will be updated in October in both print & online for schools across Australia to introduce students, parents & teachers to the breadth of CS + X careers available. If you know and Aussie with an CS + X career we should consider profiling let me know.
Sally
THE CASE FOR CS & STEM LINKS
Google’s resources
Australia’s Innovation Generation
Made with Code - why coding is a big deal
CS Engage - to grow diversity in the workforce
Exploring Computational Thinking
Other resources
Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Australia’s Future, Office of the Chief Scientist (2014)
From 1964 to 2005 in Australia, 65 per cent of economic growth per capita resulted from improvements in the use of capital, labour and technological innovation—made possible in large part by STEM
Benchmarking Australia, Office of the Chief Scientist (2014)
Demand for ICT skilled migrants dwarfs all other scientific skill bases except engineering, and grew 600% between 2009 and 2013
Whitehouse: New Commitments to Support Computer Science Education
The President has spearheaded an initiative for 1 million new CS graduates
Making CS Fundamental
International research shows that 75% of the fastest growing occupations require STEM skills
In the US CS graduate jobs are growing at 2 x the average
There will be over 1 million new jobs in CS by 2020 (That’s just in the US)
Tsunami or SeaChange? Responding to the Explosion of Student Interest in Computer Science (US)
[...]
Computer science enrollments soared last year, rising 30% (US)
In the US between 2012-2013 the number of CS majors increased by 29%
Six ways Australia’s education system is failing our kids
It has been estimated that 75% of the fastest growing occupations require science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) skills and knowledge. The importance of STEM is acknowledged by industry and business. Yet there are national declines in Australian participation and attainment in these subjects. A recent report by the Productivity Commission found almost one-quarter of Australians are capable of only basic mathematics, such as counting.
RESOURCE LINKS
Digital Technologies MOOCs from Adelaide University (free online courses, mapped to the Australian Digital Technologies Curriculum for teachers from grades K-8.)
CS4HS workshops - nationally by various universities & non-profits with support from Google
Graduate Certificate in Digital Technologies - University of Tasmania
CS Unplugged - free & open source
CS FIRST - free & open source
Computational thinking resources from Google + partners
Blockly - free & opensource drag & drop programming interface
Khan Academy - curriculum and online editors for JS, HTML, and SQL
Made with Code - free & open source
Code.org
*This is a list of programs we know have strong impact metrics for results, not just reach.
FIRST Australia - STEM & robotics programs from grade 2-12 - nationally run
Code Club Australia - code clubs & information/material to set one up
Robogals - promoting STEM education to girls
NCSS - national CS summer school in Jan each year at the University of Sydney
NCSS Challenge - annual programming competition.
PC4G - programming challenge for girls
Digital Learning Victoria - workshops & PD across Digital Technologies and technology in the classroom
EdTECH SA - Educational Technology South Australia
ECAWA - Educational Computing Association of Western Australia Inc.
ICTENSW – ICT Educators of NSW
ICTEV – ICT in Education Victoria
InTEACT – Information Technology Educators ACT
ITEANT – Information Technology Educators Association of the Northern Territory
QSITE – Queensland Society for Information Technology in Education
TASITE – tasite.tas.edu.au Tasmanian Society for Information Technology in Education Inc.
Careers with Code - free online resource highlighting CS + X careers and university pathways

Hongyu Hongyu
2015-06-08 05:08:56 UTC
Please SAVE me, please SAVE my 8 month old niece's life and please SAVE my
family's life!!!

Our stituation is dire, Please SAVE us urgently!!!

The Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong, is attacking me , my
niece and my family!!

This is what happen, a few years ago, i posted in the internet forum my
first posting that LHL( i did not state Lee Hsien Loong full name) is major
in Mathematics so he make decision base on numbers and that he do not care
for the people, immediately after that Lee Hsien Loong was angry about it
and found out that I am the one who wrote it and found out the address of
my HOME, then Lee Hsien Loong installed hidden cameras inside all the ROOMS
of my HOME watching every movement of me and my family everyday 24/7 and he
attack me using SOUND/NOISE, this is EXTREMELY EVIL because we are attacked
inside of our HOME and we cannot see the attacker . this is the description
of what happen : when i am sleeping with my head STRIAGHT, construction
drillling noise will start, when i turn my head to the side or BEND my
head, then the construction drilling noise stopped, when i am watching TV
with my head sitting STRIAGHT, construction drilling noise will start again
until i BEND my head, then the construction drilling noise stopped, how is
it possible to know when is my head STRAIGHT or BEND? because there is
hidden cameras inside my HOME to see my movement and then he give orders to
start or stop the noise. this is how Lee Hsien Loong attack me inside my
HOME. he also use SOUND/NOISE to disrupt my sleep and cause us to live in
misery inside our HOME.

Outside of my home, Lee Hsien Loong attack me using Gang Stalking technique.

Lee Hsien Loong attack a peson inside and outside the HOME to force the
person to (1) go insane (2) commit suicide

Lee Hsien Loong attacked me inside and outside of my HOME, my life was
ruined and I wanted to commit suicide, but i try to live, so i left
Singapore, i went to Malaysia to start a new life, but , I could not,
because i experience the same kind of attack when i was living in Malaysia,
Lee Hsien Loong followed me to Malaysia and he do not want to let me go and
keep on attacking me in these ways, i wanted to commit suicide in Malaysia,
but, i try to live, so i went to Thailand to pray, that night in Thailand
an Angel appear to me in my dream so i did not commit suicide and i return
to Singapore. When i returned to Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong keep on
attacking me and send me to the Mental Hospital(IMH), then without my
knowledge and consent i was inserted with Microchip Implants inside my
head, beside my ears, inside my hand, inside my legs, inside my body,
because i feel PAIN to these POINTS of my body. The Microchip Implants
beside my ears can emit sounds and cause pain so i cannot sleep properly.

Now, Lee Hsien Loong is harming my 8 month old niece because she is also
inserted with the Microchip Implants, here eye bags are red due to lack of
sleep and she is living in misery, please SAVE my 8 month old niece !!!

I wrote something on the internet forum which Lee Hsien Loong is angry, he
has already cause harm to me, he should not harm my 8 month old niece.

Lee Hsien Loong is EXTREMELY EVIL to attack my 8 month old niece who is
only a baby.

I am also bleeding from below everyday since 1 June 2015, i do not know
what was inserted inside me to cause this bleeding from below.

Lee Hsien Loong is doing EVIL to such EXTREME because (1) he controlled the
whole of Singapore and nobody can arrest him to investigate, (2) nobody
will believe me and will only think i am insane.

Lee Hsien Loong controlled the whole of Singapore and so I cannot trust the
Hospitals in Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong will also use his wealth to bribe
to change the Hospital result, so I can only call for your governmental
help to arrange to send me to your most trusted Hospital to check my body
for Microchip Implants to prove that I am telling the truth.

My name is Hong Yu, previous name is Toh Wan Mei, S75-24518A, my address:
22 Seletar Green Wallk, my handphone number +65 91900823

PLEASE SAVE US !!! URGENTLY!!
Below is my neice’s picture, she is living in misery, please SAVE HER !!!
HELP me forward my message to the Embassy in Singapore to SAVE US because
Lee Hsien Loong is restricting my use of internet
my facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009339222456